Taking in a lodger

Boston Mayflower recognises that there are many reasons why people may want to take in a lodger, and it can be a good way to relieve the pressure of the Bedroom Tax.  Assured tenants are entitled to request permission to take in a lodger as part of their Tenancy Agreement, and this will be granted as long as it would not cause overcrowding and they would not be sleeping in a room with gas heating.


What is a lodger?


A lodger is a person who rents a room in someone else’s home, usually with a formal arrangement in place setting out the rooms they can use and those they share with the rest of the household (e.g. kitchen, bathroom, living room) for an agreed payment.  Close family members such as parents, children, siblings and step-family are not usually classified as lodgers, although you will need to let Boston Mayflower know about any changes to your household.


Taking in a lodger

There are many things to consider before taking in a lodger.  We have put together the main points below.  Click here for more information, including what you can charge a lodger and how to select one.  We will give you a written agreement to go through with your new lodger.  We will need a copy which will be stored on your Housing file.


  • You must ask for permission from Boston Mayflower before your lodger moves in.  Boston Mayflower will need to undertake an inspection and a Right to Rent check on your lodger, which will fulfil your responsibility under new legislation.
  • You will need to inform the relevant authorities if you are in receipt of benefits or Universal Credit.
  • If you receive a Single Persons Discount on your Council Tax you will no longer be entitled to it.
  • Changes to your household circumstances may affect your Home Contents insurance, so you will need to speak to your insurer to make sure that your insurance remains valid.
  • You need to make sure that your home is in a fit and proper condition to take in a lodger; furniture must comply with fire safety regulations, and all electrical equipment must be safe to use.


You can find more information online.  Try SpareRoom.co.uk, the CAB website and the .Gov.uk website.

Let Us Know

Should you need to let us know of changes to the household  Click Here